I am here to help you. We are in the midst of a crisis and need to help each other. I can empower you to prevent, manage and overcome intruders, such as this SARs covid-19 virus, other viruses, bacterial infections, wounds of many sorts, even a broken heart. But I need your help. I need you to feed me properly so that I can mount the proper defenses to protect you. I am your immune system. With covid-19 and flu season upon us, I don’t know why no one’s talking about ME!
For too long now, humans (in general) have mistakenly been ingesting products, similar to food, from fast food restaurants, packages containing preservatives and dyes, fruit and vegetables that have been dusted with herbicides and pesticides, items on grocery shelves that contain things like high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oil, Butylated Hydroxyanisole (sounds nothing like “apple”), Aspartame, Sucralose and Diacetyl, just to name a few. These chemicals are toxic and cause things like, bloating, fatigue, diabetes, arthritis, neurological problems, auto-immune disorders, cardiovascular disease, endocrine disruption (infertility), thyroid problems, IBS and more.
I work very hard to eliminate toxins, pathogens, viruses, opportunistic bacteria and other intruders, but I am overburdened by our toxic environment.
Here is what you can do to help me, help you…
- Berries, lots of organic, pesticide-free berries, great antioxidants
- Clean vegetables, organic and lots of them, especially cruciferous because they help the liver to expel toxins, see the list below
- Fermented foods: sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, miso, tempeh, apple cider vinegar
- Spices: garlic, turmeric, ginger, pepper, cinnamon
- Water, lots of clean water as this can help to flush toxins
- If meat, then hormone and antibiotic-free
- Fish, low mercury and sustainable (seafoodwatch.org)
- Nuts and seeds
- Grains: Brown rice, black/forbidden rice, quinoa, amaranth, oats, buckwheat
Real food. Aim to go heavy on a plant-based diet. And since its cold outside now, soups and stews, bone broths. Buy some things you’ve never tried before and search google for a recipe. Fermenting your own vegetables is easy too, and a great project, a culinary adventure!
Most of what I do (your immune system) is in the gut. Stomach acid is a first line of defense when something toxic is ingested. Mucous membranes in the stomach, nasal passages, lungs, vagina, and all over are also protective. Lots of water helps to keep them moist.
Boost with additional Nutrients
It’s difficult sometimes to get enough nutrients from our food, so here are some specific nutrients that can really boost me, your immune system:
- Vit C
- Vit D
- Omega 3
- N-Acetyl Cysteine
Studies show that those who have contracted covid19 fare much better when they have higher levels of Vit D in their system. There are about 15 observational studies now, investigating the connection between vitamin D and COVID-19. Of these 15 studies, 12 found an inverse association between vitamin D levels and the risk of severe COVID-19 infection. People with lower vitamin D had a higher risk of severe infection.
I work a LOT more efficiently without inflammatory foods. These are causing both minor and major disorders in our body:
- Sugar (feeds rogue cells)
- Corn (high fructose corn syrup, in many processed foods)
- Gluten (often a trigger for AI and thyroid issues)
- Soy (ingredient in many processed foods)
- Refined carbohydrates (white flour and sugar)
- Processed and packaged foods with chemicals
I know it’s the holidays. Of course you’re going to indulge. But for our sakes, not too much OK? I can protect you if you take good care of me.
Additional Immune Boosters
The other things that make me, and ultimately you, really happy and energetic are:
- Regular activity/exercise, 30 minutes every day, stretch, yoga, weights, cardio, HIIT, mix it up, find something you like so you’ll keep doing it
- Adequate and quality sleep
- Deep breathing throughout the day can help to lower cortisol. Cortisol just wears me out! And long term high cortisol just breaks everything down. Not pretty.
- Meditation helps me to gather my resources. I know its hard, but you can ask Lisa for some pointers
- PLAY! Anything, whatever you like. Lisa likes her hoola-hoop
Vaccine or no vaccine, we need each other.
Arugula, Bok choi, Broccoli, Broccoli rabe, Broccoli romanesco, Brussels sprout, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chinese broccoli, Chinese cabbage, Collard greens, Daikon, Garden cress, Horseradish, Kale, Kohlrabi, Komatsuna, Land cress, Mizuna, Mustard – seeds and leaves, Pak choi, Radish, Rutabaga, Tatsoi, Turnips – root and greens, Wasabi, Watercress
If Quercitin is unfamiliar to you, it is a plant flavonoid, found in a broad range of foods: grape skins, red onions, green tea, tomatoes. It has anti-aging and immune-boosting benefits. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities are found to be cancer-preventive as well as reduce allergic reactions, boost immunity, and protect the cardiovascular system. It’s also a scavenger of free-radicals.